Here's what I watched, read, and listened to...
MOVIES
Don’t Look Back in Anger (2026), directed by Will Lovelace and Dylan Southern, is an excellent documentary on the band’s reunion. I found myself getting emotional watching the Gallagher brothers reunite. The live footage looks and sounds amazing.
The Dark Half (1993), directed by George A. Romero, is a good adaptation of Stephen King’s novel. I love the cinematography and autumn feel of the film. There are some flaws but they didn’t get in the way of the story. Michael Rooker, Amy Madigan and Timothy Hutton are all good. The climax with the birds is classic Romero and a nice homage to Hitchcock.
TV
‘Salem’s Lot (1976), directed by Tobe Hooper, is a good adaptation of Stephen King’s novel. With the limitation of televisual horror, Hooper relies more on atmospheric horror than graphic violence. I love the set design of the interior of the Marsten House. You can almost feel and smell its deterioration. The makeup of Barlow is a nice callback to Nosferatu. I also love the references to Psycho right before Dr. Norton is killed. The miniseries is streaming on Criterion.
BOOKS
Tales from the Crypt, volume 4. These are a lot of fun to read. I am currently reading volume 5. They are planning to release all of the Tales from the Crypt in one big book. But I do hope they release volume 6 separately.
PODCASTS
TCM’s The Plot Thickens is devoted to Stanley Kubrick this month. They are partnering with Criterion in anticipation of the big Kubrick collection coming out very soon. I really enjoyed the first episode and am looking forward to the next.



No comments:
Post a Comment